Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lizzy Ostro Interview



I know a lot of people. But there are not many who I would say I am honored to know. Lizzy Ostro is someone I am honored to know. Clearly Lizzy is beautiful. But that is just a tiny little part of her. She is one of the nicest and most caring people I know. She is encouraging, inspiring, and motivating all at once. Lizzy is destined to be a star in the Bikini division and the fitness industry in general. For those who think Bikini competitors don't work hard, take a look at Lizzy, and see they worked as hard as anyone. This blog was started for people like her. People who work hard to look like they do, and deserve attention, and I hope I am giving her some now. In a few years,I am going to brag that I got to interview her when she was starting out, before she became so in demand. And she will become very in demand.



Q: Lizzy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. It is much appreciated.
A: Thanks Jason for featuring me on your blog! I think it is such a great idea to show real women in this industry.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. Single girl! I am a student at ASU and will be graduating in December 2011.

Q: Have you always been an athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was always involved in sports growing up. I was definitely a tom boy. I played on a boys flag football team for 5 years and I played on a boys baseball team up until age 16. I also played a little volleyball, softball, did high jump on the high school track team and have always been very active!

Q: What led you to get into the gym?
A: After high school I found my freshman year of college that I had become extremely lazy and I had always had a really bad diet. In high school, I stayed slim with my activity level, but noticed a little extra baggage as I entered college. I didn't want it to get too out of hand, so I signed up with a personal trainer at a studio near my work and he showed me how to lift weights. My love for the gym grew from there.



Q: Some people may not realize it, but to compete in Bikini does require a lot of working out. Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: My biggest pet peeve is when someone looks at a Bikini competitor and thinks "oh, that's easy." WRONG!! For me, the training part was easy, as I LOVE to workout. It is my outlet and I love to push myself to the limits. The dieting was a lifestyle overhaul. After beginning to eat clean, and seeing the changes in my body, it became easier. The months leading up to my first competition involved 2-3 hours of training per day and 24 hours a day of making sure I was getting adequate rest and nutrition. If that's "easy", I guess Bikini's not much work. :-)

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: I decided to compete to give myself a reason to spend hours in the gym every day. I have always admired the physiques of Figure competitors, and thought that if I gave myself a goal, I would have an excuse to work out like a mad woman without getting constant questions. Plus, I love myself a good challenge.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: At first, my family didn't really understand why I was competing. They didn't understand why I couldn't eat their spaghetti and meatballs, or why I wouldn't eat bread and butter with them at a restaurant. When I said I had to go train, they thought it was just a hobby and it wasn't something that HAD to be done. Finally, after seeing my first competition, my dad in particular, realized just how serious I was about all of this and how hard I had worked for it. My family now understands my passion and they fully support me.


Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: At my first competition, I had NO idea what to expect. I had never even BEEN to a competition, let alone competed. The surprise of everything and all of the unexpected is what made my first show the most AMAZING day of my life. I had prepared and worked so hard for that day and I got to just enjoy the day that was full of surprises. The 2nd place trophy may have helped too!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: At this point, I have competed in the 2009 NPC Western Regionals, placing 2nd in my class, and the 2009 Fitness America Southwest Regionals, placing 5th in my class. Right now I am preparing for the NPC Jr. nationals in Chicago in June 2010. I am SO excited for my first National show!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best asset?
A: My best asset would have to be my butt. I was blessed with genetics, but also have worked my ass off (no pun intended...or is it? :-) ) to shape my glutes. I set aside 1 day a week to focus on just glutes/hamstrings and do all different types of exercises including hip thrusts, reverse hypers, and quadrupled hip extensions using the reverse hype. I also do plyometrics at least once a week.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: My favorite body parts to train are my legs and shoulders. I love seeing the striations in my shoulders when I'm working out and there is nothing that tears you apart like a great leg workout! Squats and deadlifts are my favorite exercises!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My normal training routine consists of about an hour of lifting 5 days a week, and 30 minutes of cardio 7 days a week. I also box 3 times a week, do sprint workouts, boot camp on Saturday's and a bleacher workout on Sunday's. I train that hard not because I have to, but because I LOVE it. My nutrition is based on clean eating principles. Although in the off season, I do enjoy some treats here and there. I mainly like to eat clean year round. I feel better and my training is better when I'm eating well. For contest prep, I don't change much other than my caloric intake. I like to incorporate a lot of different types of foods and as long as it isn't something processed, I can usually make room for it.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: The comment I am most sick of hearing is that I'm a "bodybuilder" and I better not start to look like a man. I tell these people that unless I was some genetically gifted FREAK of nature, I'm not going to start looking like a man! People don't understand how hard women work to get that little extra muscle. For most of us, our genetics just don't allow for us to become extremely huge, unless you were taking HGH or something of that nature.

Q: What is the biggest misconception bout women who compete?
A: The biggest misconception about women who compete is that we WANT to look like a man. Women with muscles are beautiful and we aren't trying to get a masculine look, we just like to train hard and enjoy creating the physiques that we feel bring out our best.

Q: Do you think women who compete in Bikini are getting the respect of people who compete in other parts of the fitness industry?
A: I think that some people are starting to realize that Bikini competitors have to put in a lot of work, but there are still those that are doubtful. To those who think that Bikini competitors don't work hard, spend a week with me and I promise to prove you wrong.


Q: Have you or would you ever consider moving to Figure or Fitness?
A: I originally wanted to compete in Figure, but didn't have the muscle size or muscle maturity to do so. I did Bikini and realized I really like that division. I have since put on a decent amount of muscle and may consider doing Figure next year, but nothing is set in stone.

Q: DO you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Oh gosh, I have MANY competitors that I admire. One in particular is my friend and posing coach Tiffani Bachus. Her attitude towards this sport is incredible and she has such a presence on stage. She won the Fitness America in Las Vegas in November and continues to inspire me. I also like Pauline Nordin's no excuse attitude, and MANY other amazing women who have worked hard to be where they are. I can't narrow it down!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing goes beyond the way you look. Sure, it is amazing to see your body transform and to show it off on stage, but the mental growth that happens when you push yourself beyond what you though you could do, gives you such a sense of accomplishment. I can't even describe how rewarding this sport has been for me. The down side of competing is that it changes the way you see yourself. You set new standards for how your body should look, and if you don't look like that year round, most competitors beat themselves up about it. It's really hard not to, but is something that I, as well as most competitors I know, are working on. There are ups and downs to everything in life.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Hmm my favorite cheat foods are probably cookies :-). I may or may not have bee nicknamed the cookie monster here or there.......

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start competing, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give her?
A: The one piece of advice I would give to someone who wanted to start competing is to JUST DO IT. Many women talk to me about it and aren't sure if they should or shouldn't and go back and forth on the topic. My best advice is to put in the effort, and come show day, no matter where you place, if you know that you worked as hard as you could, you will feel INCREDIBLE and accomplished.


Q: Obviously you are very beautiful. Is modeling something that interests you and how can a photographer contact you?
A: Modeling is something that I am very interested in. I have done a few promos, but would love to be on the cover of Oxygen Magazine someday! (who wouldn't?!) The best way to contact me is by email at fitlizzio@gmail.com

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy so many things. I love to wakeboard, snowboard, play guitar, studio recording, boxing, hiking, rock climbing, the list is infinite!!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lizzy Ostro.
A: No day is typical for me haha. I wake up every morning and make breakfast and then head off to the gym to train. After the gym, I either go to work or class, and in the afternoons I will usually do a sprint workout, or just relax after a long day. I prep all my food for the next day at night and try to be in bed by 9pm. I'm the only 21 year old I know that is in bed before their grandparents :-).

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Something that people would be surprised to know about me is that I used to live on fast food. A day wasn't complete without a stop at Jack in the Box, In n Out Burger, and Taco Bell. I look back now, and wonder how I was even alive. The people that knew me then, can't believe that I'm the same girl. I now eat veggies like they are going out of style and running out of egg whites in my house gives me anxiety :-).

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Hmm, my favorite TV show is hands down, The Office. I am a very sarcastic person and that show just calls to me. Favorite band is 36 crazyfists. I love hard rock/heavy metal music. I also love Pink Floyd. Music takes my mind to another place and I wouldn't be me without it.

Q: Describe Lizzy Ostro in five words.
A: Sarcastic, Spiritual, Nerdy, Funny, and Dedicated.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: 2010 plans are for now the NPC Jr. Nationals in Chicago. After that, I'm not sure where I will end up next.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I have started taking on clients for my healthy lifestyle business. I have grown so much and changed as a person through my lifestyle changes and absolutely love helping others find their way to a healthy life. I prepare meal plans , workout plans, and give you the motivation and advice you need and can completely relate to the hardships of getting there. My website is under construction, but can be found at www.fitlizzio.com.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lizzy Ostro the athlete and competitor?
A: I am definitely looking for sponsors. I would love to represent a company that I believe in at my first National show in June. I am a hard working individual and am happy to promote any company that I feel has a product worth talking about. I can be reached at fitlizzio@gmail.com.

Q: Lizzy, again, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks Jason for having me! All I have to say is for anyone who is looking to compete or even to just start living a healthier lifestyle, don't let anyone or anything stop you. This is YOUR life, and you should be living it exactly the way you want to.

2 comments: