Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jenny Phantharath Interview







If I had the time, I could sit here all day and talk about Jenny Phantharath. Jenny is a beautiful new Bikini competitor who I expect to do big things in the fitness industry. One look and you can see the obvious beauty and great body. But I have gotten to know and talk with Jenny and have learned she is so much more. She is a sweet, fun, and intelligent woman. She offered to help me with any advice, and when I was down took time to say some nice things. Jenny is the type of person I started this blog for. For me, Jenny is not some competitor I interviewed. Jenny is someone I call a friend. There is no end to how far she can go with her competing, and I expect people to start wanting her to do fitness modeling as well. Jenny is going to be big one day, so get to know her now, because eventually, if you follow this industry, you will have to know her. One day I will be bragging that I got to interview her so early in her career.



Q: Jenny, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this, it is much appreciated.
A: Oh thank you Jason. I am very honored to do this interview :-)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: Yes, my name is Jenny Phantharath and I am one of nine kids, the second oldest. I come from a very hard working family. Currently I am an Auditor for a top ten regional Accounting firm in the Sacramento area, so I have my hands full alone with work. I also grew up in a small town north of Sacramento called Redding, which gets to at least 100 degrees in the summer. As for my current status, I am living East of Sacramento in a smaller town than I grew up in. I love being out there with my boyfriend of six years, and we have five acres, two dogs, and my neighbors are not close at all. Can't beat that!

Q: Have you always been an athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Yes, I have always been athletic. I did track, softball, outdoor soccer, Chinese jump roping, etc.... when I was younger.

Q: What led you to get into the gym?
A: I have always worked out in high school, but it was not until my former boss told me I should not have rolls on my stomach in my twenties. That comment really got to me. I quit for a couple of years until I met my boyfriend and we then started going at least five days a week. Now the gym is a daily routine for me.

Q: Some people may not realize it but to compete in Bikini does require a lot of working out. Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Bikini does take a lot of work. Physically and mentally!!! Training is a love hate relationship. I hate doing it, but the end result, I love it. Luckily one of my good friends, Stacy Always, and my boyfriend, William Wells, love working out, so they were a huge help to me regarding training.

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: My friend Stacy Always is a hard core gym rat and she decided to compete in Figure. She fell in love with it and wanted me to join her. I hesitated and finally gave in, but I did not want to compete until May 2010.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Competing is something all my friends and family support me in 100%. For example, my birthday was in January and I received gifts that were going to benefit me in working out. When I go to a family gathering, I am not pressured to get bad. I love the people I am surrounded by.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: The first competition blew me away. I was surrounded by soooo many beautiful women, inside and out. I just kept staring at them and wondering how did they get that body.LOL

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I have just begun this journey of competition, so my first show was in Sacramento last year, and my next one is set for April 16th, the Emerald Cup. I can't wait!!!!

Q: As far as bodyparts, what do you feel is your best asset?
A: I would say my upper body.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: I love training my legs, because it requires so much work and determination. And I want those sexy legs.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: During competition season, I wake up at 4:30am, and feed my dogs and take them to do their business. Then I hit the gym for at least 35 to 60 minutes of cardio. Then two hours of weights for four days a week. Then it takes me an hour to commute to work. I work as an Auditor, so when it is not busy season I will do 8 hours, if it is our busy season, I am usually at work 10 to 12 hours a day. The difference from off and on season contest prep is how much sleep I get and how much of a social life I have. I pretty much eat clean all year.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the one question or comment you are sick of hearing?
A: "Are you a bodybuilder?" and "Are you going to get big?" Those comments are so annoying.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who compete?
A: I think that we are looking to be as big as the men and we have no other responsibility outside of competing. Like we don't have a life or job.

Q: Do you think women who compete in Bikini are getting the respect of people who compete in other parts of the fitness industry?
A:From reading and talking to trainers and Pros, I believe 2010, is the year of the Bikini!!!! They are all over the place, which is awesome.

Q: Have you or would you ever consider moving to Figure or Fitness?
A: I think I would love to do Fitness and work with Sacramento's local Sandra Augustine.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I love Sonja Adock. I got to recently meet her at the L.A. Fit Expo and she was the sweetest, and very encouraging.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Worst part of competing, the cold spray tan and the cost of competing. The best is watching your body transform like a beautiful butterfly and how this sport improves my confidence and relationship with people, especially with the boyfriend.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: If I go back home, my mom cooks all authentic Laos food, so it would the the soup called Pho, eggrolls, curry, and sticky rice.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start competing, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give her?
A: Research, research, and talk to people who know their stuff.

Q: Obviously you are very beautiful. Is modeling something that interests you, and how can a photographer contact you if he wanted to shoot you?
A: Modeling, yes, is something I would be interested in doing. Anyone can contact me at jphantharath@hotmail.com or reach me on Facebook.

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy snowboarding, swimming, shooting guns, camping, fishing, pretty much anything outdoors.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jenny Phantharath.
A: I pretty much described my weekday, which is mainly work, working out, hanging with my dogs and my boyfriend. But the weekends usually consist on our home, watching UFC fights with the family, and watching movies. I enjoy being at home.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I want to adopt lots of kids!!!

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: My favorite movie is the Notebook, make me fall in love every time I watch it. I love Pink, Lady GaGa, Black Eyed Peas, Brittany Spears.... they all make me workout harder.

Q: Describe Jenny Phantharath in five words.
A: Sweet, Hard worker, Honest, Dorky, and Positive.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes, you will see me in Seattle for the Emerald Cup April 16th, 2010.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you?
A: Any sponsors can contact me at jphantharath@hotmail.com

Q: Jenny, again, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Jason, I just wanted to thank you for giving me this opportunity to let the world know me.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww My Jenny!!! I Love you girlfriend! You are going places sweetie & you know I'm stuck like glue to your damn hip! Hahaha!! So positive & encouraging for women out there who are curious about this. You are an amazing inspiration & I am so proud to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete